Prep 15 m Cook 55 m Ready In 1 h 10
Recipe By: Halle Hardin with modifications by Firefly Farms
"This was my great-grandmother's recipe. It is very good to eat on a cold winter's day."
- 1/2 pound Firefly Farms bacon
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons margarine (we used butter or olive oil)
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (14.75 ounce) can cream-style corn (we used 6 cups of Davis Farm's corn)
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 4 cups chicken broth (Stock made from Firefly Farms chicken)
- 2 cups milk (we opted for cream since it is thicker)
- 6 small potatoes, cubed
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Fry bacon in pan until almost done. Add onions and celery, and saute until lightly browned.
- Transfer to a cooking pot. Add cream-style corn, kernel corn, butter, and broth. Add carrots and potatoes. Cook for about 15 minutes.
- Mix together flour and a little water to form a paste.*
- Add milk and flour paste. You might want to add more flour paste, depending on how thick you like your chowder. Simmer for 30 minutes or until you are ready to eat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
*We looked up how to make a chowder roux and found this awesome and helpful video on the Food Network for how to make roux
Grandma Brown's Corn Chowder